One of the main concerns you are most likely to have when you take on that travel nursing assignment is what kind of housing will be available to you. It is a deal-breaker for most travel nurses. They want to be comfortable and stress-free with their living arrangements, even if they are temporary. There are mainly two options available to travel nurses for their housing arrangements, which are as follows:
- Agency-placed Housing
This is where your staffing agency is going to make all the arrangements for you. Many travel nurses prefer this method as it means they have one less thing to worry about.
- Stipend Pay
You will get a stipend and will need to make your housing arrangements. The number of travel nurses that prefer this method is rising as it means you have greater control over where you live.
Finding Travel Nurse Housing On Your Own
So, you’ve decided that you want to choose your housing arrangements rather than rely on the staffing agency and take the stipend pay. It may seem overwhelming to choose your housing, but you don’t need to worry as there are many resources at your disposal. So, before you sign the contract, you may want to do the following:
- Research areas of the city where you’re going to be living in
- Get house recommendations from hospital staff
- You can live in a hotel in the initial stage of your assignment until you feel more comfortable
- Get advice and suggestions from other travel nurses
- You can stay with a family member or a friend to cut down on housing costs
Once you have a good idea of where it is you want to be staying, you can use the following resources to find good quality housing for your stay:
- Vacation Rental Websites –You can check out vacation rental websites such as VRBO, Airbnb, HomeAway, or FlipKey, where you will have plenty of affordable housing options.
- Join a Network Group – You can join the Gypsy Nurse’s travel nurse housing group on Facebook, where you can connect with other nurses and travelers and get recommendations for housing in your area you’ll be living in.
Regardless of where you choose to stay for your travel nursing assignment, make sure that you choose a place that is comfortable and not too expensive. You can always connect with other travel nursing, who will be willing to share their experiences with you in any city. Give preference to housing as a travel nurse as it can make or break your experience. We hope that we have provided you with enough information to make it easier for you to hunt for a house for your travel nursing assignment.
APN Healthcare Can Help You
If you are a travel nurse looking for a new assignment, APN Healthcare can help place you in a facility. We help nurses and other healthcare professionals find temporary or permanent placements in a wide range of healthcare organizations. Contact us today at email@example.com or 609-924-3400. Visit our website and look through our open positions.